Friday, January 4, 2013

The Posting




   

     It seems our boy is getting posted.  We have lots of experience in this area, but never any family close by to share the excitement with or the feeling of being in limbo. You don’t belong in the new place yet, and of course you don’t belong in the old place either. Luckily he will be only going 2 hours from here and lots of family so he doesn’t need to experience these feelings. He was chosen to return to Royal Military College (RMC) to complete his masters. We were all very excited for him.

     Not sure if you know, but when you are in military quarters and you are posted there is a certain procedure. The movers come and do an evaluation of how many pounds you have, you have to get all your electronics certified that they are all in working condition or they won’t insure them. They will come and pack and move all your belongings. After they move your stuff usually you clean then they come and inspect. We are all very fortunate that we can help with this.

Even though I will be stuck in a wheel chair because of the MSA, I believe it is beneficial to our son and us.  We are fortunate that he still asks for our help and he knows no matter what the circumstance, we will be there for him and his sister.


             

We went over and while I sat in my wheel chair, Hunny and our son went room to room to fill holes, remove curtain screws and picture frame screws and wash walls. We made the best of it and had a good day.


Also when you get posted the military sends you on a House Hunting Trip for five days. My daughter and her husband came to Mommy-sit me (I wrote about this in a previous blog: The Mommy-sitters). I also  knew because of the MSA affecting me and  stairs, this would be challenging and slow my husband and son down, so I told them I wanted to stay home. This broke my heart because if our son found a place I would not get to see that look and his first house, the layout or what the subdivision looked like. Another experience MSA got to rob me from, seems there are a few of these.

The Mommy-sitters did a good job with distracting me, and taking care of me. My daughter knows how important all these milestones are to me, and not letting the MSA keep me down. It would be easy to give up and be angry and I would be justified, but I figure who would want to be around me and my family and friends are too important not to take the higher road. Thankfully my daughter and her husband are staying here in Ottawa. They will continue help taking care of me. 
    


          They looked at lots of houses in our son’s price range. How old they were, what needed to be done and when, what had been done, how far they were to work, and what amities were close by.  When they returned our son told me of all the houses he looked at, what did interest him and why.



        Now, that he found a place he likes, the real fun begins the negotiating!

No comments:

Post a Comment