Friday, December 21, 2012

New Experiences


     I have another visit a sister  coming from Cape Breton.  It is nice having all these visits; it gives me something to look forward to. My sister and her friend are driving to Ottawa. Before being diagnosed with MSA this drive would not bother me, but to this drive would be impossible now.  I wish I new the last time I drove there was my last as my perspective would had been different.

     While my sister was visiting we had lots of family time. It is bizarre because for 25 years in the Military we would end up where there was no family now we have around 20, this makes me happy to have lots of family. We get together whenever we have the chance and I am always taking pictures.

                                           

One day we went to the Canadian War Museum. This is first time anyone has taken me out in my wheel chair besides Hunny. It is bizarre how when you have to use a wheel chair it is as if you have become stupid all of a sudden. As you know MSA has affected my brain movement but not intelligence.  So my sister and her friend came to pick me up, and we went for a visit. You definitely feel your safety is literally in someone else’s hands, I try to let this fear prevent me from doing new things and it is all-new to me.

     When you first go out with someone who is not use to pushing you, you cannot help but notice every incline, every curb, and every wall and everything at eye level.  Before you might not notice if the person pushing you looks to the person they are walking and talking with or is looking straight a head and notices the pot hole, or the lip in the sidewalk or the wire that is coming straight at your head, sometimes I feel that I should have blinders on. All in all I made it one piece and we had a good time at the museum and lots of laughs.

     We went to St. Albert’s for poutine. My sister really wanted curd cheese so we took them to St. Albert. On the way back we had to go the bathroom, not only was it a challenge to get in there but while there I ran out of toilet paper. Normally this would be no big deal but everything is a big deal now.  I was calling to my husband but he could not hear me, so I had to get dressed and get to the door and considering there was no toilet paper in the bathroom, my husband had to ask the cashier who got it from behind the counter. Then I had to go through the whole procedure again. Of course this made me think of all those people in similar situations and without a voice.
    
     The rest of the visit was great. They picked me up another day with my walker and we went to see another sister who had recently moved. This sister is not closer but there is less traffic, not as busy and more direct. Much easier for us to get together. 

      


      My other sister who lives in Barrhaven had us all over there for dinner. It always feels good to be surrounded by so much love.  It is this unconditional love that helps a person with MSA cope with their situation.

2 comments:

  1. lol I ONLY BANGED YOU INTO THE WALL TWICE LOL WE HAD SUCH A NICE VISIT CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT SUMMER TO DO IT AGAIN. LOVE YA SIS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't thought of it from that perspective... Will remember when I take Jack (Bill's dad) out in his wheelchair. Thought I was the only one that was scared:) Hope you all had a great holiday Think of you always. Jackie in Alaska

    ReplyDelete