Friday, July 13, 2012

Coming Home and Facing Reality


     Time to come home to my Hunny and beautiful kids.  I was nervous about the flight, not nervous about the flying,  because really what is the worse that could happen…crash? Oh,well. That is one good thing about MSA, it sure puts things into perspective. I was having issues with my bladder and thought I might have to postpone the trip; this is one of many symptoms of MSA, bladder difficulties. This is something we find embarrassing or shameful, when the people who make us feel this way should be the one's embarrassed or ashamed for not being understanding.  We are not doing this on purpose, we have no control. Did you ever notice when you go to bathroom there is usually a handicap bathroom but how do you get the main door opened is always challenging?

     Air Canada shipped my walker right through to Ottawa. They brought me to the gate in a wheel chair and parked me at the gate. Normally, this would not be an issue but they left me sitting in the chair with a delayed flight of 1.5 hours. I ended up having to use the wheel chair as a walker. Do you realize how cumbersome wheel chairs are? And there are no brakes. Everyone was watching me, but no one offered help either, afraid they might catch what I had. At least I was live entertainment for the people.


     I got the connecting flight to Ottawa. I almost had a choking episode, so I did not eat or drink until I got home. The trip proved one thing; it will be my last time to travel alone! Hunny met me at the airport.  I came home to a bouquet of flowers, shrimp, cheese and crackers and oh yes, red wine. All my favorites! We sat and just talked and talked. 

     I went to see Dr. Grimes, a.k.a "He Who Shall Not be Named", because he is one who gave me the bad news about the MSA. He had me do the typical tests but I was having trouble with the left. He had me clapping, tapping my foot, opening and closing my hand and walking tests. There is no test that confirms MSA, it has a lot of similarities to Parkinson, and a lot of people are misdiagnosed. They usually rule out other diseases and see what they are left with. They don’t know what causes it, therefore, they don’t know how to fix it. So, I am going to fix myself.  Dr. Grimes gave medication for my bladder and something to help me sleep. I slept through the night the first time in a few months, it is worse than having a new baby in the house.

    To think when I first started having symptoms I told my boss at the time. When I told her I started crying because she knew something was wrong. She said, “don’t be silly you’re the healthiest person I know”. Those words keep playing over in my head.

     Another symptom of MSA is voice loudness and lack of. Not sure how many of you have sisters, but I have nine and we all want to be heard. I find myself having to start conversations over because I am not loud enough or I run out of air. I get tired so I told them they cannot keep making me start over or I will give up and not speak.  They also try to guess what you are going to say they drown you out when doing this. I get tired especially now, so, one time I said to my oldest sister,“ Is that your final answer or would you like to guess again”? We had and have a good laugh at this expression all the time and she informed me that she uses this expression often now. What a great story!


 I brought back t shirts for everyone, which we all wore to celebrate our daughter’s 23rd. We had a nice dinner followed with cake and gifts. We had a lot of catching up to do, three weeks is a long time. I missed my Hunny and kids. 
    
There is no place like home!


No comments:

Post a Comment