Friday, May 4, 2012

Not Only

     It has been just over one year since my (our) lives were turned upside down. This MSA has sure taken a hold of my body, and we are trying not to let it control of our lives. This is not a milestone you want to celebrate!

     I often hear I should not be doing so much research, that I should curl up with good book. People do not realize how harmless that one expression can mean. There is no such thing as curling with a good or bad book for that matter. There are so many books I want to read, but it is so hard to focus on anything but medical, and  not only this, but it is impossible to curl up.

     When given this kind of news, it takes so long to absorb, and there is still hope they made a wrong diagnosis. You are always searching for a new angle, or something that may have been overlooked. You try not let your mind wander, that you will not only never be able to play or carry the grand kids,  you will never be able to be left alone with them...  Not only will you never dance, run, bike,  you will not walk eventually or talk. I love shoes but not only will I never wear heels again, but when choosing from the wardrobe you have to consider how easy is it to get in in and out of the clothing... We are in a beautiful Condo because not only will you never be in a house again, you would not be able to maintain it.   

     Earlier in the month, I was still going to aqua fitness three times a week. The ladies in this group are fabulous. I thought I might have to give it up soon because not only, can I not  last the whole class without having to go to the bathroom, but I am disturbing the class. Also, not only am I disturbing the class, I cannot speak very loud to tell them that I am going to the bathroom, and then I try not to slip on my way there. When I do go they worry about me until I get back. They are so sweet. It is not good for the psyche if you feel you cannot keep up with 70 year girls.
 
     The physiotherapist from CCAC came and was here for a while. I showed her around our gym and we developed a routine for me. We were going to use the Thera bands and alternate with aqua fitness. We ordered a TENS machine for my shoulder. When I lose my balance I tend to go to left side and have fallen on the left shoulder at least five times. I am sure if I had not been so active before I would have broken something because I have fallen on this shoulder so many times. So exercise does make our bones stronger. 
      We also decided to order a walker, to help this shoulder and not fall so much. I was becoming a wall walker. I got my walker; I was very upset with myself for a few days. I cannot do the floor workouts like before, and not only am I practicing things like talking and walking, but they are getting worse. Just another fact of life, with the new me! 

     I decided since I have to use this walker might as well give it a name and decorate it. I liked the name Sky because it could be Sky Walker or the Sky is the limit. So that is what she is referred to, Sky. We went to Westboro Sport store and bought a disco bell, it also has our family coats of arms on it and various other stuff. So I have a new companion now, Sky!

3 comments:

  1. Love you honey xoxoxox.... I know you'll never give up. Never stop hoping there's a cure, never stop believing! You are always on my mind and forever in my heart sweet friend ((((hugs)))) and tons of kisses!! Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda:
    I know what you mean. I was diagnosed with MSA in April, 2011. I can no longer talk very loud; when I talk I babble like a baby. I haven't fallen (I am 5'10") in one month). I have a stiff neck and sore shoulders all of the time. My hubby is in denial. Sigh! Just another fact of life for me! Nancy Schenk, Vernonia, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife had a bicycle horn that we put on her walker. She loved to come up behind family members and honk the horn and watch us jump! We moved the horn to her wheelchair when we made that move. Bless you on your MSA journey.

    ReplyDelete