Friday, May 25, 2012

Making Christmas Part Two


     Now that the chocolates, squares and other goodies were ready it was time for fruitcake and decorating.  My mom made this fruitcake each year and she taught me. Now, I will teach my kids.  It is a big production but it is tradition. First, you have to cut up all the fruit, which I cannot do.  Not only is it hard because of the back and forth action, I do not have enough strength. Whenever we have steak, or beef or something that has to be cut my Hunny does this for me.  Even pizza he cuts into strips for me, and also puts a non-skid placemat under my plate for me. All of this is done without me having to ask. I cannot mix or stir, these are all symptoms of MSA.  My kids are very interested in tradition as well, so they will make the fruitcake and I will supervise.  We have lived in many places with the military so traditions became very important to us. It is a whole day affair to make this. Usually, I would make a lot and give it away but this year will have to be two dark and two light. We had a good day, lots of family time and the cakes turned out great.

      Time to decorate. It would   be the first time decorating  this Condo. How I miss my house right now, I did not realize how much we got rid of to move into the Condo. So many memories! But I would not let that show; it will just ruin Christmas for everyone. We were already facing enough challenges, not only MSA, but first time we will not wake up Christmas morning with  our children. We will just have to make new memories! 


      My daughter and I usually make hot chocolate, listen to Christmas music, which she brings, and decorate the tree. When we get to the top Hunny puts the angel on and when we are all done.  Every ornament usually has a date and year on it so we remise as we go though the box. My daughter was so patient, because of the MSA I cannot lean over because that will cause me to lose my balance, therefore, my daughter had to hand me each ornament to hang on the tree. But we got to discuss a lot of theses ornaments. I have some of my mothers ornaments and the kids from their from the time they were a baby. Each year I get them an ornament. Lots of good memories!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting to read about all your traditions Brenda. You are so well organised and put us all to shame!

    ReplyDelete