Friday, March 2, 2012

A Shopping Day

 
     My son had the day off so he came and spent it with me. He was leaving for Europe in a few days so I thought we could spend some time shopping and stopping for coffee of course.          One of his good friends, who he graduated RMC with, was getting married in Germany. What joy that must be to have four of your friends who you graduated with, travel half way around the world to spend one of the happiest days of your life.

      
     He needed some sport clothes that were lightweight and easy to store since he was only taking a backpack and drinking beer, apparently. So, we went to Bushtaka, then to Expedition Shoppe then we stopped at Starbucks, then we stopped at the MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op). I was excited for him to go but things change fast with MSA
     I was experiencing symptoms already. With Multiple System Atrophy comes from the loss of nerve cells in the nervous system. Symptoms are grouped into three main categories:
Autonomic dysfunction – symptoms such as urinary incontinence, erectile dysfunction in men, drop in blood pressure when standing (orthostatic hypotension), fainting, constipation
Parkinsonism – tremors at rest, rigidity of muscles, slowness in moving
Cerebellar dysfunction – difficulty walking (ataxia), maintaining balance, and coordinating voluntary movements.
Other symptoms such as difficulty speaking or swallowing, sleep apnea, and cold hands may be present.

     I was using a walking stick at this point and even though a could still walk quite far I had to remind him he had to be of the left of me in case I lose my balance, I do not want to fall in front of a car. I also cannot go very fast, I always say I have one speed now. I see the hurt in his eyes; He is use to me being the strong person. For years when my husband was with the military and he would be away and it would only be the three of us, and I could take care of us no problem but, times are different now.  

     When we were having coffee, we dicussed this book by Robert Munch, which we consider our book. When he was four and I picked him up after school. He jumped in the car and threw his arms around my neck and said, “I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always, as long as I’m living my baby I’ll be". The story continues with the boy being a typical boy growing up. Of course, as he is growing older so is the mom. One day, the mom calls the boy and says "You better come see because I'm very old and sick." So her son came to see her. When he came in the door she tried to sing the song. She sang: I'll love you forever I'll like you for always....But she couldn't finish because she was too old and sick.
    
     The son went to his mother. He picked her up and rocked her back and forth and sang, I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living My Mommy you'll be . 

 My son got everything he needed for his trip but what I got can"t be bought and more valuable, I know as long as I am living my family they'll be.

4 comments:

  1. The best day to do Xmas shopping is the day that the shops are complete of new Xmas merchandise that has not been selected over.

    buy upc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brenda, I, yet again, was touched by your blog. One of my boys live and work in London and I often wonder if he, who isn't here to observe my degeneration on a daily basis, will be shocked when he sees me again. Keep fighting friend. Love, Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda: My daughter, Jennifer Santoro, calls me everyday. She knew before I knew that I had MSA. My daughter is like your son....caring and loving ...

    Nancy Schenk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Brenda
    This blog entry (as with your others) are extremely touching....time can be cruel as it just keeps marching on....I think of you often and your struggle as you deal with the symptoms of this horrible disease...what I have learned is that you have an incredible family all supporting an incredible woman: you...take care, Miriam

    ReplyDelete