Friday, March 23, 2012

An August Weddding!

      
     We have a very large family, which I am so thankful for. There are 10 girls, 3 boys, spouses, and 26 nieces and nephews who have started having their own children, this not only mean lots of support, it means there is always something going on.

    That is the case this month. One of my nieces, who lives here in Ottawa, is getting married. Also, one of my other sisters (mom of the bride) is moving to Ottawa, and my nephew (brother of the bride) and his family as well. I am so excited because I will have two of my sister’s living in Ottawa and their children.  Now, we will be between two Provinces, Ontario and Nova Scotia.  


     One of my sisters was driving up from Cape Breton with her daughter to take part in the festivities.  It is going to be great to be together for such happy times.  


   The day of my niece's wedding arrived. Remember the white handkerchief I had kept all those years (26) and brother-in-law gave to me? My sister gave it to me for my wedding, and my daughter for her wedding and now gave it to my niece for her wedding. I also kept my pillow that I used and I gave it to my niece for her ring bearer.
   My sister made the garter and all the flowers for this wedding as well. So much tradition!
  
   The Wedding was at Base Chapel. We all arrived to watch and hear the bride and groom exchange vows. It was beautiful! We then went to the NCO for the reception. We had a very good time. It was great to be part of special day! More Photos


       
    I was having a lot of falls this week, so I have to make sure I get lots of rest because that affects my balance and other symptoms. I do not want to be falling everwhere at the wedding. It is funny, now, when we go to a place the first thing I do is scout out the bathrooms. Until a year half ago, this was never a concern and really did not think I would have to worry about that for another 30 years. One of the symptoms of MSA is bladder control. It was my second kidney infection this month. I must admit at first I cried every time I thought of this and how I was not ready, but then realized you probably never are. I always remember the words my dad said when he was sick in the hospital, “Once a man, twice a child”. 

    When we are out now I have to hold Hunny’s arm. Most people do not realize this. Also, it becomes tiring with lots of people and noise. I can no longer look to the side and walk, without falling. So it is one or the other. 
   The time came for the garter and bouquet toss. Hunny was somewhere and I found myself at the table alone, but I wanted to see this. So I made my way to the room where this was happening. I remember two young men asked if I was all right, which I responded yes. There were two stairs to climb, just when I was about to go up the first step I fell backwards, thank goodness those two young men were there because I had to grab onto something (just happened to be his leg) to save myself. He probably thought I was some cougar hitting on him. Needless to say I missed the garter and bouquet toss. After my episode, I just wanted to sit and be safe.


     It was time to go home, I was very tired. When getting in and out of the vehicle my Hunny helps me in and out. Thankfully, because when getting out I fell, luckily, he was there to catch me. This reminded me of The Spoon Theory. That unlike a lot of people I have a number of spoons. Each task in my day requires a certain amount of spoons and when my spoons are used up there are no more until the next day. I guess I used too many spoons today!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Brenda, this spoon theory in your last paragraph is so true and I'm borrowing it to post. Hope others will better understand how careful one has to plan when you have so few spoons. Love, Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda! My amazing friend Sonja led me to your blog and I just wanted to thank you for this post. The 'Spoon Theory' explains SO much and certainly serves to help someone like myself to understand things a little better. There is such a need for awareness and education and I salute both you and Sonja for all your efforts. My very best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this post took me back to the early 2000's. First as the ataxia set in, she would pull to the left as she walked, she always was holding on to my left arm when we were together. I asked her how she managed moving the students to lunch, play ground or during a fire drill. She said she walk so the wall of hthe all was alway to her left side. And that the children had seen she had a problem, so she explained. And that they would come up and help her. I had gotten out of coaching so when I came home I would prepare supper, she would sleep, there were times that she would sleep so hard, the day had just completely taken her energy. (She had just about used up all her spoons) Many times I would go ahead and eat and let her sleep, she would eat later. A fear tat she had was not being able to walk to the front with me at our youngest daughter wedding. We moved slow and I could feel the arm locked in mine shaking, but there was no holding her back. We had two steps to make so we could light the candle and then back to her seat. I can only guess how much energy it took just to do her part. But she did it. You ladies set the bar high for us husbands, with your determinaton, inner strength, courage and we are proud of you! Sue don't have many spoons now, but the one or two she has she uses wisely. Sometime it's a tea spoon with a long handle which makes it tough, or a tablespoon which is difficult to handle, rarely is the spoon the right size. I try my best to be and provide the right spoon for her! I's sure your husband is doing the same! Thanks for sharing and cause me to think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brenda:

    The spoon theory is true. I have lots of spoons; but they are short spoons. Your hunny supports you; my hunny supports me too. One of my support group died on Friday night. It is just a reminder to do more...when we have many spoons; I am trying hard to get my "house in order", while I have enough spoons. Thank you, Brenda, for sharing. Hugs, Nancy Schenk, Vernonia, Oregon

    ReplyDelete