Friday, January 13, 2012

New Vehicle

     We were trying to be as proactive as possible, this meant selling the car and getting an SUV. I know most people would be very excited to get a new vehicle especially the one we are getting, but it was bitter sweet for me. We already have a great car, but it will not be good for me in the future, and it is much better to get one now than when we are forced into it.
      I now have trouble getting in and out of the car. Getting into the passenger seat, I usually fall in and getting out my Hunny helps me. I don't have enough strength in my legs to push myself up when I am sitting low in a car.  
So, we not only need something that I am almost standing when I get out, we needed something in which the seat is higher . I also knew I needed something that can accommodate a walker and potentially even a wheelchair in the future.  So, getting the vehicle was exciting, but the reason why is not good.  Although my Hunny suggested getting the new car, I cannot help but think we are making all these changes because of me. Another change because of MSA. A person would not be so bothered if it were one or two aspects of your life but, when these changes affects every aspect and having to make these changes every couple of months it is hard to stay positive, however, I know for family and friends that is what must be done. So, after much discussion, we decided on a Mercedes ML Blue Tec with the running boards. Another thing I had to apply for was handdicap parking because I need to be able to open the door as wide as possible to  get out. We have decided to call this "privileged parking".  It is a very nice looking SUV and we were looking forward to taking it on a couple of trips last summer. It is be so much easier to get in and out of this vehicle.

     
  We realized last summer that it would be so different for us. Usually, we do lots of walking and hiking. In the past, it would be nothing for us to walk 10 km have a coffee and walk home. We have hiked mountains in the past or biked 30 or 40 km. All that is gone now. It would be more driving and site seeing from a car, not the side of a mountain. The following weekend, we decided to drive to Perth, Ontario. It is only 60 minutes from Ottawa. There are lots of little shops and the architecture is gorgeous.





We stopped and had lunch at

Mexicali Rosa's. A great Mexican restaurant which sits on a canal. We had a nice lunch and then we walked around the town.





      I have to be careful because I can easily overheat. One of the many symptoms of MSA is that I rarely sweat, therefore, it being so hot, I had to be cautious.  But my Hunny took care of me like he always does.


                                                                    


We had a great day the first of many car drives!










No comments:

Post a Comment