Friday, January 27, 2012

Day at The Museum

     While my daughter was looking for work, now that she had graduated, I got to be selfish and spend the whole day with her.  She lives in the south end and I in the west so we decided to meet at a junction and travel the rest together.  We decided to visit the Museum of Nature.   
      I must admit, I was a little nervous as my condition was getting worse and I was becoming more limited, but I tried not to let this show. I would definitely have my walking stick and would need to be assisted with walking so as I did not want appear drunk or crash into people. My daughter, however, was pretty keen and conscientious of her mom.

     The Canadian Museum of Nature is home to one of the world's largest and finest natural history collections dating back over 150 years, with more than 10 million specimens covering a four billion history. The museum attracts visitors from around the world, even those coming from Ottawa, like us.The museum is a massive 100-year-old heritage building fondly known as "the castle." It's more than just a landmark; it's a piece of our collective history. 
    


   
   There are five areas we were interested in, the dinosaurs, the mammals, the water, of course, growing up on the Atlantic, the birds and fossils, there is something for everyone here. It’s worth a visit for the architecture alone! They had 3D models of the dinaosurs which looked very real. I would not want to be anyone's dinner.


     These polar bears are the largest living bears, thankfully for me they were not real, as I was looking at it from a seals perspective. I would have been plucked from this hole and made a snack.


     We never found these in the Atlantic. No doubt it was too cold.



    This is not a Yellow Submarine but hey red one will do.




     Fossils are a record that the a creature, plant or fish visited us. At the Museum of Nature there are lots of these preserved remains to see. More photos.







                                                                         

     Our final stop was the "Queen's Lattern". The orginal tower was intended to be the focal point but because of unstable soil the tower was sinking so it had to be removed. Last year, the museum annoucned this new tower as the "Queen's Lattern". It was presented on a plauqe to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh.

    We had a faboulous day and my daughter took good care of me. I was worried for nothing! I am excited because we have a special visitor coming for Canada  Day. The evidence was all over town, and we could see it going home on the bus. 

     They were rolling out the red carpet every where. Tim's Shoe was in town, oh, and Kate Middleton and Prince William, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were arriving also.




  
    

5 comments:

  1. the Dinos are awesome...I saw some at the Smithsonian ...they make you feel so tiny...Great Pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to see. Defnaly want to go back@

      Delete
  2. maybe the red carpet was for you and Jessica Love ya sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think the red carpet should be for Tim's Shoe and the great awareness that is being brought to this disease.

      Delete
  3. Brenda,
    You have also brought so much awareness to MSA,you have this blog which now has over 6000 hits,not a small accomplishment,you should be proud,I am proud of you and of the woman you are. You took something that you were diagnosed with and brought it to the public eye,not only to help those who have MSA but people like me who had no idea what it was and how it affected so many people and also their families.Love Bertha

    ReplyDelete