Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Race Came to Me


      My first thought when I open my eyes and last thought before closing them is ~ MSA

       I have been doing so much research and reading trying to figure out what I did wrong? I have always been health conscientious, exercised and ate right, so, where did I make mistake? Perhaps growing up was I exposed to something in the environment, which could have had a hand in this. We did grow up by a lighthouse and the light for this lighthouse floated in a bed of mercury, which we would play with. This was before they knew it was so dangerous for you. I also grew up on well water which could of been contaminated with something foreign or was it something at one of the postings? I had so many questions but so few answers.


      It  was almost time for the Ottawa Marathon. I had removed my name from their list and really did not want any info regarding the marathon since I would not be able to run it this year.  What I did not realize until the event, that they had changed the course; therefore, they were going to be running right in front of my building. In fact, one of the music stations was right outside my building. I could not go to the race, so they brought the race to me. That morning, Hunny and I had a latte and sat on the patio and cheered on the runners. It was good to be cheering; I remember the feeling so vividly and feeling so tired but always getting a boost from these stations of cheering people.

Birthday Girl


    This week, we were also going to Angus, Ontario. We were posted there for 1997 – 2000 and still had good friends there. Well, this was a big year for this group,they were all turning fifty. We were going to a 50th BBQ. It was one of our friends from Africa who was turning 50! We were seeing the whole gang, lots of fun. There were about 60 people there as it was a joint party with her daughter was turning 19 at the same time, needless to say, fun was had by all. We had a lot of laughs and shared memories.





      I cannot help but think what kind of shape I will be in when I am 50. I will have had MSA for three to four years by this time and doctor said in three to five years I will be in a wheel chair. While this thought looms over me, I am doing my best to stay active and mobile. Hope and determination are two things I can never give up.

2 comments:

  1. Brenda, you look beautiful in your wedding pictures. Thanks for sharing your courage and appreciation for life's gifts and challenges.

    As an SLP who works with people with Parkinsonism it was helpful to hear how important it is for the professional to give hope and offer specific strategies that can assist with the problems that arise. I am working with a friend/client with MSA to develop a website to give guidance on the speech challenges and remedies for Parkinsonism. May we continue to learn from one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Brenda! I echoe Bonnie's comments and thank you for shring your thoughts. It is difficult not knowing why things happen. I know for a fact that no one, especially not you, deserves this. You are however demarking yourself in how you deal with it, being as strong as I have always known you to be - not only in body, but especially in mind and spirit.

    Thinking of you,

    Karyne

    ReplyDelete