Thursday, December 22, 2011

Quality Family Time

     The wedding was over and quite successful, it was time to focus on the family, quality time.

Hunny & Family
The In-Laws
    My Hunny’s family stayed an extra day after the wedding. We have three suites in the condo that can be rented, and that is what my husband’s family did. They came up for breakfast, we talked about how magical and fairytale like the wedding was. After breakfast, they went sightseeing, and would be back later in the day. When they got back we took the kids swimming, which they enjoyed.  After the swimming, Hunny made dinner for everyone.  It was nice to sit, relax and just laugh over a glass of wine.

Brenda & Bertha
    The next day, both of my sister’s came for the night.  Again we did a lot of laughing.  One of them was going home the following day. Hunny was dropping her off on his way to work and before a meeting.  I get a call from the airport from her with panic in her voice, and saying a drive-by would have been faster. Which she refers now as "the drive by push out", I asked what she is talking about and she said that she was just dumped at the airport and Hunny just left. Of course, we both got a chuckle out of this, as we both know she likes to embellish stories, like her dad. It was tough saying good-bye, we had a couple of weeks together which were great.  We both knew that the MSA would be progressed by the next time I saw her. It was a good thing that I could not go to the airport or that would have made it tougher for both of us. I used to take care of her kids often and now she is taking care of part of me. We have developed a special bond, she calls each day since I was diagnosed.  It is funny how life has it's surprises, which are not all bad. I spent a lot of time with her and her husband when I was a teenager and we have always gotten along good.  In fact, it was her husband who gave me the handkerchief when I got married. This is the handkerchief that was lent to my daughter, and then it was given to my niece in August for her wedding and then back to his own daughter in December when she gets married. This is how traditions are born!

Veronica & Brenda
Canadian Geese
    The fifth oldest sister came for the night before going home.  We took a bus and went downtown to do some site seeing. I was still able to walk unaided then. I just looked like I have had a couple of glasses of wine. I still looked like I was okay to everyone on the outside but I can feel the unsteadiness when I walk and I feel shaky inside, especially when I get tired. I do not want to stop though because I am afraid if I stop I won't be able to start again. We walked along the canal and met a family of geese, we were able to walk right up to them and get a photo. 
Stairs from Ottawa Canal to Wellington St.
Supreme Court of Canada
     When we got to the Supreme Court of Canada, we climbed the steps.  There were over 50 steps. I had to hold the railing. This probably seems pretty good to everyone else but it is all relative. Last year, I would have run up these stairs with no problem. 




     We walked in front of the Parliament as well. We had a fun filled day. When Hunny got home, we drove this sister to my other sister’s where she was leaving from. When I was first married  26 years ago, and my husband was in the N.W.T., I lived with her for about a year. So needless to say we spent a lot of time together. I was very glad we got to spend this day together and remember how that felt all those years ago.

Loretta & Brenda

    The next day, my oldest sister arrived so her and I spent a few days together. There is a few years difference between us and we have always been close. When I was around three, this sister moved to Toronto and I was homesick for her, our mom had to take me to see her. Every time I would see a plane I would cry for her to come home, in fact, I use to think she was my mother. During her visit, we went and had Gelato. It was my first experience eating this. They make it fresh each day at Truffle Treasures and I will definitely be going back. We were pretty rebellious this day as neither one of us had eaten yet so we decided to have gelato for lunch, such a wise decision!

  
The following day, we went to the Baker Street Café and had the best lunch possible, it was very good as well. The weather was gorgeous and I wanted to keep up with walking. Hard to believe I now practice the things I have been doing for 48 years, like walking and talking. I was grateful for this time I had with my second mom.







    I am very fortunate that I have such a special bond with so many in my family, which I will be sharing as the journey continues.  I know the support has always been there and always will, and for that I am very thankful. 

1 comment: