Friday, November 16, 2012

Canada is 145 Today!


      
Today is Canada’s Birthday, Happy Birthday!

     Usually we go to town on Parliament Hill and go to the Supreme Court. We will not be doing that this year. Since my MSA diagnosis and the fact that it seems to be progressing so fast I overheat in crowds. There will be lots of people down town for the celebration but we will not be joining them..

     Canada is 145 years today, I have not to think of the fact that I will not make it to half of this age. It is hard not thinking of this each day, especially as I become more limited with this MSA.

     
     Now that we were not going to town we would have think of a different way to celebrate this holiday. We went for a drive and got some poutine in St. Albert, very French Canadian and very good.  We watched some of the celebrations on TV. It just takes a diagnosis like MSA to appreciate the little things.





      We came home and Hunny cooked pork chops, cheese, potatoes and red wine. Hunny now has to cut my food for me. I do not have the strength or the co-ordination to cut meat or much else for that matter.  After dinner we had some time so I practiced my speech. It has been a couple of weeks that the speech therapist has been coming to give me exercises to practice. The MSA has been affecting my speech with clarity as well as volume. It is hard to stick out my tongue as it quivers, touch the corner of my mouth, make a kiss sound, or to fill my cheeks with air. One of the exercises is to say the “ah” sound and hold it as long and as loud as I can, my goal is at least 20 seconds.

             
      After we ate and I practiced we went to Ottawa River Parkway to watch the fireworks. My daughter and son-in-law met us to watch the fireworks. We had to watch the fireworks from inside the car because it was too much for me to stand and watch outside and I can no longer sit on the ground, as my body doesn’t want to bend. It has been almost a year since I have sat on the grass. No more picnics on the beach, or sitting in the sand for me. I don't usually sit in the living room or any where but my wheel chair unless someone is with me because it hard to get up. 

      Even though I have this awful disease it is nice to know my family recognizes the importance of our time together and when ever they are available to get together they always suggest it and never wait for me to ask them.



We are making good memories!

2 comments:

  1. Brenda.
    You are the first person I have written to about this awful illness, my wife Linda is in the same battle as yourself but she cant think or write, walking is near impossible and likewise speech is impaired. We have the same problems with standing/sitting etc. If you can afford it try a cruise we have just returned, we had a assecessabe cabin which was ideal and getting around was easy(many cruising folk have problems). The thing was I had no cooking or cleaning and food was superb which Linda still loves. After dinner always a show for about an hour she loved them even though she does not show it. Daytime was busy lots going on.
    Trevor.UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful family picture Brenda:-)Love Janet

    ReplyDelete