Friday, June 15, 2012

Deciding On Winter Camp


     It was the summer after being diagnosed with MSA, when I said to my husband if he needed a break from me, or the MSA that I could go to Cape Breton.  He was insulted that I suggested this but I was doing it out of goodness. So, when he admittedly told me no, that he did not need a break from me, I tried to make a joke of the situation, so I said “no summer camp”. He laughed and a joke was born. Everywhere we went after that, we would see signs to register for summer camp, and we would laugh. Here we are, six months later, and I have decided to go to Cape Breton for three weeks. Again, I try to keep it light so I keep referring to it as winter camp.

      So, Winter Camp started the 27th of December 2011. I know in my heart this will be my last trip anywhere alone.  I know it is a long time to be gone and my Hunny is worried but it will work out, I have been telling him to get another hobby besides me, so he is going to start guitar. That makes me very happy. I knew it would be difficult, it would be the first time not celebrating the New Year in 26 years and I won't see my kids for three weeks but, knew this something I have to do, while I can.

     I had arranged for my nephew to pick me up at the airport and no one else. Because even though it would be a happy time, it would be sad as well. A whole year has gone by. I was be arriving with a walker and not on my own.  I send my family periodic updates but there is big difference from reading and seeing how MSA has affected me. Not only did I arrive with a walker, but, I fall over much easier now, I cannot roll over in bed, I cannot write or brush my teeth, I am having trouble speaking and my voice volume is low. I move very slow now, hard to believe the difference in such a short amount of time. I knew there would be tears if anyone else comes! I do not want to sound like a wounded animal…of course that is what I am! But I would have lots of mother’s to help me and take care of me once I got there.

This video won fan favourite at the Neuro Film Festival.

     It was not a long flight but I was very nervous. I was worried about where the bathroom was and if I had to go how I would get there? I did not want to fall on anyone. My other worry was if I had a non- breathing episode.  We changed flights in Halifax and there was a young mom and baby, sitting beside me. They were so sick, the mom actually started to get sick while holding the baby.  I could not offer to help and was hoping I did not catch what they have. That leg of the trip was the flight from hell.  If I sit for too long, I get cramped and these small seats with a sick mother were not helping. But, I got there all in one piece and still breathing!

      As you know I have a pretty big family and there are still eight on the Island, so I decided to stay with four of my sisters while there, “spread the wealth”.  I would stay with my nephew who picked me up at the airport first, until after the wedding. I would be spending lots of time with the others. The other's worked long hours, or no one was home during the day, or they lived too far out in the country, so this is the best way. That way no one person would feel burdened and get tired. It is going to be nice getting some one-on-one time with family!






But first, we have a Wedding to ring in the New Year! That is going to be a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment