Friday, February 10, 2012

Family Visit to Quebec


                
   This is an important weekend for us; we are taking a family holiday and going to Quebec City. My in-law's, who I adore, live here.  It will be our first family vacation since my boy graduated from RMC. It will be more than likely my last visit without some assistance with walking. That pains my heart but I know I have to be strong for my family.  Also, this month is my mother in-law’s birthday, my son's 24th birthday, my Hunny’s 50th  and my daughter will be introducing her husband.  Lots of reasons to celebrate! 



     The day of my son’s birthday, unfortunately it was spent driving to Quebec, but we were all together that is the main thing. When we arrived we had a small celebration for him.  24 years old…my how time flies! We are going to celebrate with everyone tomorrow.

     The next day we went to visit Old Quebec, one of my favorite and one of the oldest cities in Canada.  When we visit here it it is like almost stepping into some place in Europe. The history, the architecture, is amazing the colors so vibrant. There are cafes, cobblestone streets, people walking with fresh banquettes and so many cheeses.  Walking is key to enjoying this city.



    The Chateau Frontenac can be seen from almost anywhere in Old Quebec. This beautiful hotel was built in the 1800's and is one of the most photographed buildings in Quebec. It sits just over-looking the St. Lawrence. The St. Lawrence  is one  of the most important rivers in North America. It takes all the run off from the Great Lakes which lead to the St. Lawrence and eventually empties into the Atlantic.


     While there we went to the Notre Dame Basilica, as we do every time we are in Old Quebec. This Cathedral is so magnificent it was built in the 1600's, but it does feel odd lighting a votive for yourself! It is worth I try....Candles are lit for prayer intentions. To "light a candle for someone" indicates one's intention to say a prayer for another person, and the candle symbolizes that prayer.

     After spending the day here, we went back to my mother-in-law's, everyone was coming to celebrate. It is going to be such fun.  Even though I won’t be joining the conversation so much as usual,  another symptom  of MSA is a problem with speech, which is really affecting me now. It is hard enough in English, then to try another language it is just so hard.  But it is fun to watch all the laughing and listening to the conversations. We had a great celebration! Everyone usually has a good time when together. 





  My mother-in-law gave my husband the vase of flowers, which were brought to the hospital 50 years ago when he was born!



Before leaving Quebec we always try to visit my father-in-law as well. We went there for  brunch and had a nice visit. It was a very happy and good trip to Quebec. 








       I still hear those words from my doctor that people with MSA tend to be in a wheel chair in 3 - 5 years, and even though I do not dwell on this it is always in the back of my mind. Next time I come to Old Quebec for sure I will be different but I am up for the challenge


4 comments:

  1. great blog. Tony & I travelled to the east last fall and spent 3-4 days wondering around Quebec city. We stayed in a room above a store in old Quebec and roamed the city to our hearts content - both day and into the nite. it is an amazing city! your family time is the memory that you'll have forever. that's the real treasure!
    love
    rosemary VR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful celebration with family. No matter what mode of assistance you will be using on your next visit I am sure you will be amazing as usual. You are strong and I wish I had just a fraction of your courage and stamina my little sister. Love you bunches Bertha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, La Ville de Quebec! Imagine, I visit my mother-in-law there 4 times a year, yet it has been YEARS since I've been in the old, walled city where my darlin' proposed to me as the horse drawn carriage pulled us through La Porte St. Louis! Seeing your pictures has given me the fever! I'll be downtown on next visit! Thanks! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dearest Brenda ... I hope to make it up to visit you this year ... my heart is with you during this journey ... wishing that health will accompany your everyday!

    ReplyDelete