Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Easter 2011

   

     I have always been big on tradition, and Easter is no exception.  Each year, we make a recipe called Easter Bread.  My grandfather brought this recipe with him from Romania over 100 years ago.  My mother made this bread each year for her family and I do the same.  Thankfully, my children love these traditions as well and enjoy making this bread, as it is a big job.  We usually set it Holy Thursday and let it rise all night and cook it on Good Friday.  I know it is possible to buy the quick rise yeast for the dough but we like the tradition, and part of that tradition is setting the bread Thursday and baking it Friday.  
 This year, my son made the whole thing, I 
basically just told him the ingredients and he made it.  He even did all the kneading, which is hard labor.
 
  Friday my son, daughter and her
fiancé came to finish baking the bread. It brings lots of pleasure seeeing the bread spill over the sides of the pan. It is all wrapped up and sitting in the chair, my kids love the feel of it when it is like this. It is a whole day affair. The smell through the house was great and so comforting. When things are changing so fast around you it nice to have some things you can count on. I love being able to count on my kids to appreciate tradition!


     My niece arrived from Thunder Bay for the weekend on her way to Cape Breton. She is going to school and taking Recreation Therapy.  She spent the weekend with us. It was nice to treat her to some pampering. We went in the pool and her and my daughter did some site seeing as well and chatted.

     Sunday, for dinner we had my niece as well as my friend and a friend of my son’s, who went to RMC with him. He has been at our house many times in the past, so it was nice for him to see where we are now. We had turkey, buffeted carrots and yams. It took awhile to prepare so we started early, at least to get it ready to cook. When I am peeling carrots and yams it is so difficult now, anything with repetitive motion. It is impossible for me to slice the carrots or yams, so Hunny usually slices them for me. We had a very nice meal and lots of laughs and shared memories. My niece left for Cape Breton Monday morning, I think she had a great visit. 


That afternoon, my other niece and her fiancé ,who are from Ottawa, dropped in, along with my nephew,his wife and their children (who are adorable), my nephew’s mother-in-law and their friend. It was nice to visit and see everyone once again. My nephew's son did not want to get his picture taken but his sister,well let's just say you have heard of "Where's Waldo"?  My nephew was in the process of moving to Ottawa this summer along with their mother (my sister) and father. It is nice to join the family that is already here. 
I have a dfficult road ahead, so need all the family I can get.

  

Now this event is over, on to the next which is a Friday the 13th Wedding!


No comments:

Post a Comment