Friday, November 4, 2011

Downsizing and Upsizing


     
    The time had finally come to downsize our home but upsize our lives. 


This is something I kept reminding myself, as I got ready for the big move.  We took a month to pack and because we knew the transition would be tough we wanted to give ourselves time. Condo living here we come!
     On Valentine's Day we got the keys for the condo. We decided we would have sushi and champagne while looking at the view. When we opened the door there was a bouquet of roses and a teddy bear from Hunny and a bottle of champagne. Friends of ours had them delivered knowing he would not have time to do anything special that day, and the champagne was from the person we bought the condo from. We made a special toast to new beginnings and then I lit a candle and said a prayer for God to bless this house. I then went room by room and said a special prayer. More condo pictures: 
    I only wanted to take what we were going to use, that meant a lot of things would be going. In my closet so many skirts and shoes would not be making the journey.  You see I love shoes but I knew I would not be wearing heels any longer or pencil skirts. These shoes I gave to a sister who also shares a love for shoes. Being all dressed up and staggering is not a good look for anyone. While cleaning out my closet, my daughter reminded me that if and when I do end up in a wheel chair I would still want to have nice shoes so I should not get rid of them all. I took her advice.  Very wise daughter for how young she is.

     Each day, when I was in the house alone, I was packing and crying.  I was not only purging my closet but my soul as well. I was truly mourning, not only the house but also myself. I knew I would never be the same again no mater how much I exercised, how many steps I took, or how much I practised, things are going to get worse much worse.

    
    
We had three levels, a garage and a shed, which we had to downsize to one. So much furniture, clothes, and tools.  Luckily, our kids live in town so we gave a lot to them, so, we were just helping them. We have lots of family and friends to give stuff to.  While packing, I came across this prayer someone is sending me a message.

     The first order of business was too bittersweet. It was giving our children ownership of their "stuff" we have been carrying around the globe for the past 25 years. That part was very liberating. Even though they were taking their possessions, there were so many memories that went along with them. We rented a U-Haul because not only were we giving them their own belongings but we were also giving them furniture and the gym equipment. It was a very tough time. 


     We then rented a U-Haul to move our furniture.  Some good friends and my family came to help us move the big items and to pack. They did such a great job moving us and it was great because they set things up as they moved them.  We stayed at the condo that night. I always left the drapes opened a bit to let the street light shine in. At one point my husband woke up and asked if I were okay, I asked him how could we not be?  Projected on the ceiling was a three-foot cross.  I knew then that I was in trusting hands. Those of My Hunny, sent by God, and those of God himself.

    The final day at the house I went up to my son's room with him.  We talked and reminisced; I know for him he does not have the same attachment to the house. He was only in this house for two weeks and it was off to Military College.  But for me I remember lying on his bed at that time crying because my boy was gone. We had a lot of good times here. All the times he came home with his friends from RMC, and friends that stayed because they were passing through, even though he was not there. Times he came home on vacations and when he helped his dad with remodeling for me.

      Our daughter stopped by as we were finishing up and to get a few more of her items. Her and I went to her room.  She had done so much growing here, so many friends and had so many parties. She had finished high school, started University, met her true love, moved to her own place, got engaged and so much more. I remember her moving out with her fiancé and crying thinking my little girl is all grown up. We just held each other and cried.

     It was time for Hunny and I to leave, we went to each room and remembered all the remodeling, plans, good times and the celebrations we had. I cried so much it is a wonder I have any tears left. We have moved so many times before both but we knew this is different; I am moving away from more than just a house. We left and went to join our kids for dinner at the restaurant.  My family is everything!


11 comments:

  1. Dear Brenda, I am so glad that you are blogging and sharing all of this. I love the picture of the cross and that it reminds you that you are forever watched over by Him. Here a cyber hug all the way from the tip of Africa. It is evident that you are loved and cherished by your family - a true blessing. Maybe we can skype one day - I'll help my MSA friend, Sonja. Stay forever blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how hard this is becoming for you. I am here to help you in any way you need me, Brenda. Just say the word !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are the strongest person I know. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda my love, you were always the strongest person I know. And now you are even stronger. Stay positive, sometimes things change when you least expect it. Remember my uncle Dana from NB who suffered MS at an age of 32?well, 14 yrs with this disease after almost becoming completely blind, having heart attacks, being 100% immobile, They finally came up with a treatment (blockage of vein in the neck), he had this surgery in June of this year and just last week his vision came back completely, he now has 10 times the energy and is moving around the way he had prior to diagnosis. If you believe, miracles can happen, and I believe in my heart you will recover 100% one day. So keep your shoes and your skirts, I believe you will need them in the future. Lots of kisses and hugs! I will visit you soon! Muah!

    Diane Pack

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the most honest, devoted, and loving mother I know! Thanks for sharing. You are touching so many lives with your words. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear Brenda, Thank you for sharing this story with us. Always remember you have many friends. You have put into words what many of us have gone through when we were moving out of our houses. For whatever reason. Your condo looks fantastic. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brenda, you are so amazing :) I actually cracked up about the high heeled shoes and staggering not being a good look.....I had to do the same thing! They make a lot of cute flats though!! Nothing but love and respect for you! Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sis. First and foremost I love you. I know you are trying to be strong and brave and that it is not as easy as you make it sound.But the fact that each day you have the courage to get up and face another day never knowing what it will bring makes me so proud of you.I wish I was there so I could spend time with you,laughing,crying and just acting silly like we all use to do when we were kids.You have touched so many people all over the globe with your story about MSA. You are truly inspirational to everyone who has MSA and even people like me who don't. I love you very very much. Your Sister Bertha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brenda I read this blog every week and though I see you more often since moving to Ottawa and see your changes on weekly basis, I am very proud of you for taking the extra-ordinary amount of time needed to type all these words to put your journey on paper.
    What use to take you minutes now takes hours. But you persevere and bring all us siblings, family and friends to a special place and time in your life that we would otherwise not know about. Your journey although sad is a much loved private reading time for me as well as so many others. Love you very much. Georgie

    ReplyDelete
  10. aS I said before -you truly are an inspiration to everyone witth this disease.You know Brenda I was given a very bleak diagonosis almost 23 years ago MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS. At the time I had a 5 year old and a six month old baby.I thought how can this be happening to me .Who will raise my children-the way I would.will I see my daughter graduate and who will walk her down the aisle???Will I be alive to see my grandchild and I was omly 34.Well within months I was using quad canes and a wheelchair alot of the time and then one day I had an epihany---I have MS but MS doesnt have me.After that things began to change because I began to change.I did get to walk to my daughters graduation and walk her down the aisle and I still keep trucking.Life is strange with so many changes as nothing ever stays the same.There are alot of doctors out their that give their prognosis but they are not God and they are not Brenda. Because only you live daily with MSA. You are making a difference is so many peoples lives with your stories and Strength.Dont stop doing that and please remember -you have MSA but it doesnt have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fine way of describing, and good paragraph to get facts regarding my presentation topic, which
    i am going to deliver in institution of higher education.
    my page - making candles

    ReplyDelete