Friday, September 14, 2012

A Raise & A Promotion


     It has almost been two years since my diagnosis of Multiple System Atrophy (MSA). Over the past two years I have had to accept a lot of things, which sometimes affected my pride and dignity.  I have shed many tears of anger, sorrow and frustration. To think the big part of having our children young was not only having the energy and strength to be active with them but also being young when the grand kids come along. Now I do not let myself think that far ahead because I will never be able to hold the baby, have sleepovers or play on the floor. If I think of this it makes me sad and I cry. MSA has stolen so much but something it will never take is my pride in my children.

     Our son, who is the oldest, is a graduate of Royal Military College (RMC). He has been in Ottawa the last two years.  We have enjoyed this immensely! Not only has he been able to take advantage of important events but “just because” events as well, which are just as important. Turns out this month he is getting promoted to Captain. He as well as his Dad and I are very excited. He has applied for his Master’s and was accepted at RMC! Along with this of course is not only the promotion and the accepted, which it means a posting as well. He will be going back to Kingston, but that is only two hours from here.  It is important to prepare his future.

     
     Our youngest, is our daughter. She is a graduate of the University of Ottawa.  She thankfully is staying here I would definitely be lost! She always pays attention to the little things. Her brother gets off easy as she always has good ideas for him for events.  We have a great relationship and we are in contact most days and her and her husband visit often and come to Mommy-sit when I need her to. She has been working at Chase Banking and has been doing very well. A position became available and she interview for it.  Secretly I did not think she would get it. Not because of her competence level or intelligence but she was the new kid on the block and after only 8 months someone else would get it. I just thought she was not there long enough. I said to her try for it, I thought the practice would be great. Well turns out she got the job!

    
      We wanted to share in their success, so we had them over for some champagne and laughs and of course gifts.


    


     

      
     We have been very fortunate that we have two successful children and they figured out the important things at a young age and without a lot of pain. It makes all the time and energy we spent in their growing up so worthwhile.
It is great to be so involved in their lives and we continue to play an important roll.






Even though I have this terrible disease what better children to take on this Journey with us!


5 comments:

  1. Very nice - they are great kids. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya know and feel what you and yours are going through my daughter samantha only 38 past in July and is struggling I would give my life for it to be me that had this horrible illness as a mother you know what I'm saying I'm sure it's not right my granddaughter is 16 and she's had to fight as well she was a premy baby it's so unfair but you know sometimes I think are we being tested for greater things to come f

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Brenda I'm a mother my daughter samantha has mSa c and the youngest in the UK and god it's so hard she has a daughter just turned 16 in April Sam was 38 in July I always thought that it would me be to go first how wrong was I it's a horrible illness and do you know Brenda we are problem stronger people because off this terrible illness We got to stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda, although we also have to deal with future losses, like not being able to enjoy grandchildren, we are both blessed with supportive husbands and children. My heart goes out to you, even if my position is the same...strength, hugs and above all, prayers for you and your family. S x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi and congratulations to two great kids that used to play at my house in Anchorage Alaska!!! My have you grown up great:) Would love to see all of you again.
    Jackie Dunbar

    ReplyDelete